Monday, April 27, 2009

Enduro

On April 15th, Bruce and I competed in the 20th Annual Enduro at Arapahoe Basin. We've been talking about doing this for a few years now, but it never worked out until this season. It's a race to see how many runs teams of 2 can complete off the Pali lift (all black and double black runs) in 10 hours (7am to 5pm). We were unsure of the details when we signed up, but there are 20 runs and you have to do them in order, starting at whichever one they draw for you. Also, the race starts with a shot gun start, everyone runs 30 yards to their skis, clicks in, and skates/ muscles their way to the lift. These people that do this competition every year are HARD CORE. Keep in mind, it takes 7 minutes to ride the lift up. The record is 71 runs, the winner this year got 69 runs, and Bruce and I got 55 runs. It's actually not that bad for the first time. Now that we know more, I think we can do a lot better next time. Being a girl, of course, does pose a problem when it's time to pee. There are no bathrooms on that section of the ski resort, and you would lose so much time going to the other area. I had to go in the trees... keep in mind, we are on a very steep mountain, so that was interesting. I'm not sure, short of wearing depends, what else I can do to save time... Oh well, I have a year to figure that one out:) We had a bast, even though I was sore for days afterwards.

No comments: