Monday, April 27, 2009

Skiing Friends

We met up with some friends that we made in Chile this winter to ski. Jim and Margory live in Asen, so we called them up when we made plans to be there for 4 days. We met Jim, his son James, and 2 of his buddies at Aspen Highlands on what turned out to be a truly epic powder day. It had snowed a foot overnight (when we went to bed at 2, there was not a trace of snow on the ground in town), and continued to dump at least another foot throughout the morning. We did some runs on Temarity, which is some of the steepest inbounds skiing in CO, then hiked the bowl. Boy, am I out of shape. That run from the top of the bowl, though, was the best run I had all season, so it was worth it:)
We also skied with another guy we met in Chile, Will, who lives in Denver. He came up on an obscene powder day that actually stranded me because the roads were so bad. I got an extra ski day in Vail!! (First time ever I haven't made it back home to go to work in 5 years of commuting to the mnts to ski-so I deserved that one). That day, he led us all around some out-of-bounds terrain to get some air off cliffs and rocks. I actually landed one really good!! A week or two later, he and a friend took Bruce and I up on Vail pass for some snowmobile accessed skiing. One person drives the snowmobile while the other is dragged behind on skis up the mountain so they can ski down and meet the snowmobilers at the bottom. This is also very tiring and makes me realize how out of shape I am this winter. It was a very amazing experience, though. We even cooked bratwurst out in the bush. Hopefully we'll get the chance to do that again sometime.

No comments: